Monday 8 August 2011

4. A Pony named Hyundai

Following on from my introductory post I have decided to mess with our not so legit overseas friends after they enquired about my wife's car...

Note - This is 100% REAL. I know that is hard to believe but seriously it is, I encourage you to try it for yourself :)

I had more than 1 reply to my car ad and after the Harry Potter saga I had to do it again, twice more in fact. Here is Nigerian fun part 3. This time I push harder.

I need to know the answer to the question:
 'how far do you have to go to stop these guys replying?'...

A text message arrives:

Hi,I'll like to know the present offer you have received on ur vehicle. E.mail me <address>



I am asking $4,200 for the car and again I add an extra zero to feel out if he is for real or not.


Hi,
Thanks for your message. I have had one person look at the car but haven't heard back yet so not sure if they will put in an offer. Price is $42,000 and it is in great condition.


Thanks,


A legit buyer would notice the incorrect price but...
 


I am very keen. How iwish i could come and view what am buying from you.but am currently overseas atthe moment and i want it picked up before i get back, though i will be back incouple of weeks. Due to my inability to make a bank deposit, I would be payingvia PayPal which is safer for me. Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice orcreate an account at www.paypal.com.au if you dont have one. I will make aconcrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming overfor pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account.Have a niceday. P.S Few more photos will be appreciated as well.



He wants some more photos. that gives me an idea...


Hi Carl,

Thanks for your interest and follow up email.

Just to note that from other enquiries there may be some confusion since I listed this in the cars section as there was no general transport section.

In addition the references in the ad to horsepower might have also been confusing. Hyundai is an 8 year old Pony and is in great condition.

I don't have many more photos other than the ones in the original ad but I have attached one more for you (that is my dog Honda riding on her back!).

Just to check that you are still happy to proceed, I await your positive response.

Have a great day,








Surely that will end it? Nah, these guys are keen.


to be honest to you,this is my first time on Gumtree and how i wish i could come and view what am buying from you.i am a marine engineer busy sailing,am in a ship right now at Bermuda......I will also like you to know that i will be paying via PayPal...due to the distance as i am in Bermuda presently...I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the Payment...Your (PayPal email)...I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have the Payment...Kindly send me a paypal payment invoice or create an account at www.paypal.com.au if you dont have one. I will make a concrete pick up arrangement with my transport agent who will be coming over for pick up once you receive full payment into your PayPal account.Few more photos will be appreciated as well.Have a nice day


Cut and paste again, how rude. So Carl wants more pony pics. In situations like this I like to ask myself 'what would George Costanza do?' OK we're going to the Hamptons!


Hi Carl,

That is no problem at all. Paypal is great and you can send payment of $42,000 as agreed to <my email> through paypal.


I found another photo for you as requested which I have attached. This was taken at Hyundai's Fancy Dress Pony Party last year, she went as a Stormtrotter.

It was a real hit but we had to take the helmet off after a bit because she was having trouble breathing. Should have gone with the wookie costume after all (Chewhayya). Lesson learnt.

Look forward to payment and then we can arrange pickup by your agent.

May the sugar lumps be with you,


No response.


Maybe he noticed the tail was a different colour between the two pictures and it didn't add up? Yeah that must have been it.

So we have our answer. Exactly what does it take to stop these guys?

A photo of a pony dressed as a Stormtrooper. Sorry, Stormtrotter.



 

1 comment: