Friday 5 August 2011

2. Do they have Harry Potter in Nigeria?

Following on from my introductory post I have decided to mess with our not so legit overseas friends after they enquired about my wife's car...
Note - This is 100% REAL. I know that is hard to believe but seriously it is, I encourage you to try it for yourself :)


A text message arrives:
i,am very interested in the CAR you have for sale,kindly get back to me with the full price,reason for sale and the condition <email provided>.

Hmm, sounds weird but rather than just blast the guy i figure I'll drop him a line from my hotmail account to see. I am asking $4,200 for the car and add an extra zero to feel out if he is for real or not.

Hi,
Thanks for your message. I have had one person look at the car but haven't heard back yet so not sure if they will put in an offer. Price is $42,000 and it is in great condition.

Thanks,

A legit buyer would notice the incorrect price but...


Hello,
Great reading from you. I'll like to complete the sale with $42,500 AUD in order to outbid the offers you might receive or have received. I am an oceanographer and am currently in the middle of the ocean in Tasmania. Am buying this as a surprise gift for my Dad in NZ.

To start with, I can only make the payment via paypal because it's very safe and secure for us. In case you don't have a paypal account I'll advice you to register for one at
www.paypal.com.au. I won't be available to come for inspection due to my present location because I'll still be on the ship for the next 1 Month. I have a private pick-up agent that will contact you in-order to handle the pick-up at any location of your choice once the payment is completed.

I'll like you to tell me more about the present mechanical condition of the vehicle, how often do you service it, the car history, have you ever experience any mechanical problem with this vehicle? Send me your paypal email address and your name so that I can make the payment.

I'll be the one to handle the payment via paypal because the agent doesn't make payment on behalf of customers. Your quick response is greatly appreciated so that we can proceed with this transaction a.s.a.p. I will keep checking my email every 15 minutes for your message.

Best Regards,Kelvin



Let the games begin!


G'day Kelvin,

Sounds like you have a great job! Lucky Dad to get such a great present.


Everything in the car is great but I just had a look through and I noticed that there are a lot of spiders right through the car. I got a quote from a local company Basilisk Pest Control to have them removed. The owner Hagrid did a special deal for $100.

I know this adds more to the price but since it is a present I thought you would want the spiders removed. Let me know what you think and we can go to the next stage.

Thanks,



Ever wondered if they have Harry Potter in Nigeria?


Hi,
Sure, please have the spiders remove. Have you ever experience any mechanical problem with the car before?



Apparently the answer is no. That means he won't recognise any Potter references no matter how obvious right?


G'day Kelvin,

I have had no problems with the car. It has been regularly serviced at Quidditch motors and has been inspected by Hogwarts Motor Pool of Autocraft and Carardry. I have a certificate from them signed by Chief Mechanic Dumbledore stating that it has passed O.W.L levels.

At $42,000 it is a bargain. better model than the firebolt or nimbus2000.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have,



Let's see how that goes down. not expecting a response to this one I have to say.


I'm very much interested and I want you to know that you don't have to surf around looking for buyers because you just found one. This is a surprise gift for my Dad and it must be presented in few Weeks from now. I hope you now understand my eagerness to complete this transaction a.s.a.p...? I'll need your paypal email address and your name so that I can make the payment.

Immediately the payment is completed, the agent will contact you in-order to pick up the Vehicle at any location of your choice and he will also be of assistance concerning the change of ownership by presenting all the information's/documents needed to transfer the change of ownership. This transaction is based on HUGE amount of trust and I expect to see this from your side as it is on my side. The only thing I'll like to say is that if there is any problem which you're yet to mention, please let me know now. 



This guy is seriously keen. Not to mention clueless.


G'Day Kelvin,

What great news! I know a great transport company here called Wingardia Leviosa that will make things effortless. I'll check with Dobby who organises their shipments and let you know, might be better than pickup? email for paypal is <my email> but name for this is under my uncle Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.


Thanks,



Wingardia Leviosa, the moving company. His response:


I will gladly make the payment in the next 20 to 40 Mins from now. Just need to contact the agent before proceeding with the payment. Please confirm the total amount am sending to you...?


He is so excited to have someone on the hook I am not sure he is paying attention.


Sure, total is $42,000. Thanks! I assume I can transfer the funds from my uncle Albus' paypal account direct to my vault at Gringott's bank? Haven't used paypal much so not sure.
Thanks,



Nearly mentioned the head goblin but that would be too obvious wouldn't it?


PayPal is an e-commerce business allowing payments and money transfers to be made through the Internet. PayPal serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods such as checks and money orders. Once you have created a paypal account, it must be linked to your credit card or your bank account so that the payment you have received into your paypal account can go into your credit card or your bank account. Once I have transfered the payment into your paypal account, you will be notified by paypal immediately that you have receieved a payment from me. Once the payment is sitting in your paypal account, it will be automatically transferred into your bank account under 24hrs. Hope you have a clear picture of how paypal operate now?

Whoops I triggered a cut and paste event again. People must ask about Paypal all the time. These guys must have a library of standard answers.

Just as an aside - did he notice that my uncle had the same name as the guy that signed my mechanical certificate? Didn't even think this might be dodgy... oh yeah I guess that doesn't matter.

I was asleep and he was impatient after all this to and fro so he finally asks for the cash...


Hey,
I was just about to pay when I encountered this problem. The Pick up agent said I must pay for the freight fee before they can schedule a pick up time. I've been charged $1950 for pick up and delivery. The payment must be sent to their co-operate international headquarter in England <
gives a real companies web page>
and the payment is made through Western union money transfer. I will add the $1950 to the money am sending to your Paypal account. Once am done making the full payment, kindly help me forward the freight fee to my pick up agent's HQ in England through western union money transfer. I would have done it myself but I can't send money through that means due to my present location. I'm a little incapacitated but I'll appreciate your help here. Please respond a.s.a.p. so that I can know my stand.


There is the con. Send some money via untraceable western union and that's it. Time to wind this up.



G'day Kelvin,
I would be happy to help out. Bit hard to get to western union when you are in the middle of the ocean! Pity you don't have Buckbeak on hand to assist. My Uncle Albus has an account at western union but I am just waiting on a brew of polyjuice potion so that I can go down and impersonate him. Are you in a big hurry? If so I may be able to speak to Hermione and borrow her time turner. Let me know.
Thanks,


Time turner?
Next he sends the bill.


Hi,
I will like to inform you that I have sent the payment and I expect paypal to have contacted you by now. Please let me know if you have received the payment notification from paypal? I paid $44,650 and paypal said the fund will be held and not reflect into your paypal account history until you have sent the fee meant for pick-up due to security purpose. Send the pick up fee to the agent's HQ in England via western union money transfer in any Post office closer to you so that paypal can release the funds into your account as soon as you have sent the western union details to them.

It's my own personal advice that you transfer $950 for now but after your paypal account is credited, you can forward the remaining $1000. I added extra $200 to cover western union charges which shouldn't be more than $150-180 but just to be sure i added $200. Here is the pick up agent's information needed for you to send the money through western union:

XXXX - <deleted as this prob some poor vistim of identity theft. UK address which is interesting>

Email me the necessary details; the mtcn which you will be given at the western union office after you have sent the pick up fee, the name of the sender and address you used in sending the money so that I can forward it to paypal or better still, you can email paypal directly at
customercare@paypal-automobile.com. <note I left this in, get a hotmail address and fire away everyone - post your successes in the comments below>

Please send me your address where the vehicle will be picked up and also a contact number where you can be easily reached because I must forward all that to the agent in order to book a convenient pick up time immediately your account is credited and they have received the western union payment.

Nice doing business with you.
Best Regards.





Along with this:

I was disappointed he used Albus' middle name and asked him to change it to Albus Dumbledore. He said it doesn't matter as the transaction ID is the only important part. Scammers are so lazy these days.

I tire of you. Goodbye.


G'Day Kelvin,
Bad news I'm afraid. The kids took the car last night and it was smashed by the whomping willow. Not much left of it unfortunately.
Cheers,
PS A deal is a deal so I am keeping the cash you sent!

Clearly I need to try harder to deter these guys. Onto the next 'buyer'.




1 comment:

  1. DOMAIN: PAYPAL-AUTOMOBILE.COM

    RSP: Instra Corporation Pty Ltd
    URL: http://www.instra.com/

    created-date: 2011-11-28 19:07:47
    updated-date: 2011-11-28 19:07:47
    registration-expiration-date: 2012-11-28 19:07:48

    owner-organization:
    owner-name: Felix Ubogu
    owner-street: 69 Linden Hill Gardens,Unit 33 cnr 3 rd Ave 5 str Linden
    owner-city: Linden
    owner-state: Johannesburg
    owner-zip: 2195
    owner-country: ZA
    owner-phone: +27.735253289
    owner-fax: +27.866112672
    owner-email:


    Just in case anyone out there wants to know who paypal-automobile is. Maybe send a message.

    ReplyDelete